Sunday, February 3, 2008

Poems on the Tirthan Valley : Payson R. Stevens




Trekking :



empty my lungs
of my current life
here at the ridge
beneath the clouds
under the silhouette
crags and stars.
let the cold pure wind
freeze my past
and leave it behind
as one beautiful ice crystal
on the alpine grass.

empty my mind
with each balancing step
let the air currents
rise and take me with them
for i have longed for
these heights,
dreamt of the snow leopard
beckoning me onward
into the upper atmosphere
a place i've studied and now visit,
no more symbols,
no more science,
almost no more art.
just empty mind
thin air silence
and last words
taken on the thermals.

let the wind stop
so i can collect my thoughts.
let the wind start
so i can let them go.
let the mountain devtas*
take my breath and pulse
and transform pure thought
into pure energy;
here at the high ridges
i offer my prayers
to the wind.
*gods


Copyright 2000, Payson R. Stevens